Spotlight On - Marpesia & Co



Caught up with 29 year old self taught Jewellery Designer Martina Guillaumier of Marpesia & Co to get all the details about her one of a kind hand made jewellery. If her charismatic and enthusiastic personality is any indication of how invested she is in her work and her designs then I’m sure that we can expect a lot more from Martina in the future. Her looks are fun, vibrant and eye-catching.


 How did you get started as a Jewellery designer?
It was such a mix of factors. I had studied the History of Jewellery design as part of my Masters (Decorative Arts and Design History, University of Glasgow) and had found it absolutely fascinating. When I came back I designed some pieces for a top jeweller here in Malta. I then started working in film which is very exciting but not the most reliable of jobs. I didn’t want to give it up, but wasn't so sure of what to do to keep myself going during the periods when I wasn't working. My aunt then gave me a book about Seaman Schepps and I knew I had to learn how to make jewellery.


 What inspires you?
It could be the shape of a letter in a gorgeous font, a piece of fabric with an interesting colour combination or working my way through vogue to see what’s new and in. I never know when I’m going to have an idea which is why it’s so convenient that I always carry a pen - I’m always writing down colour combinations or sketching shapes. Also, I could be in a shop, see a piece of jewellery or clothing and link it to something I had seen in some magazine some time and come up with something new right there.

 Where do you source out your one of a kind pieces from?
When it comes to certain special pieces I like to trawl markets looking for really original focals and components. London Markets are brilliant for this sort of thing. LA is another big 
source for me.



 What's in store for Marpesia & Co for the future?
I annoyingly always have a project in mind! I started 2 new ranges this year, the most recent one being “Basic Beauts” which is mostly stark, simple and lush jewellery at a very decent price using semi precious and precious stones and metals. In 2013 I want to expand this range further and also work on 2 new ranges:
1)    A Wedding Range, including Tiaras and headbands. I do commissions for weddings very often, but I’d like to have a section in my shop that caters specifically for wedding events, even showing matching bridesmaid jewellery. And the tiaras will be so much fun to make.
2)    Pregnancy Necklaces. A soft chime hangs near the belly by a chain, and the sound is soothing to the baby. After birth, the sound will bring back the comfort of their mother. I embellish the bells using semi precious stones and Swarovskis and they can be custom made – pink for a girl, blue for a boy, a charm with an initial or heart…. I’ve made a few since friend of mine told me about them. They all sold instantly because they’re so magical. I’m obsessed with them so 2013 will bring many many more. I’m really going to focus on making as many as I can.


 What do you love most about designing and creating your own Jewellery?
I love that people see something I made and want it. When you make something it’s like a little part of you that’s been turned into an object because it came out of your hands and head. So when someone resonates with it it’s quite a fantastic feeling. I love that people choose to treat themselves with something I’ve made that has put a smile on their face. If they buy a gift for someone else, they’re still choosing something I made to say they care. The first time I sold something to someone in Australia I LOVED the idea that a complete stranger on the other side of the world was walking around wearing something made by me.



 What are some of your favourite materials to work with and create with?
I’m obsessed with pink and green stones. Pink Sapphires are my ultimate favourites. Then come Pink Topaz and Pink Chalcedony. My favourite green stones are Emerald, Chrysoprase and Onyx. As a metal I’m a fan of yellow gold. I like using Vermeil (sterling silver washed in gold) and Gold Filled materials (a super thick plating of gold which will not tarnish) as fantastic alternatives to the steep prices of solid gold. So if it’s pink, green and gold, I’m in heaven.

 If you had to sum up your look and aesthetic in 3 words, what would they be and why?
BOHO-CHIC : This one mainly applies to my vintage range “Brassy Classy”. I take special vintage beads or focals and make something fresh and fun with them, always using vintage raw Brass. They have a retro look with a modern feel and are very unique statement pieces.
PRINCESS : Because of all the jewellery in “Blingy Thing” and “Basic Beauts” which are either simple and delicate or else insanely sparkly. Either way they’re perfect for a princess.
GODDESS : This refers to all the statement jewellery found throughout the collection. I have some bold pieces which really say “I’m here” and take some personality to wear.



 How can one purchase your beautiful tailor-made one of a kind Jewellery from?
I set up my online shop in April 2012. It’s an Etsy shop – a website dedicated to handmade wares and vintage items – and I’m so happy to be part of the Etsy online community. Find my shop here . For any information or commissions, or simply to keep up-to-date visit my facebook pagehere  where you’ll be able to contact me 

So, there you have it girls treat yourself this Christmas and place your order now!

Love & Fashion,
G xx

0 comments:

Post a Comment