Simply Sef



Sef Farrugia is a Maltese designer based between Malta & London, I met her backstage at the MFW, as soon as I saw her collection for the first time I instantly fell in love with the quality and the exceptional patterns, Tribal Goddess, that’s the first thing that popped in my head, when I saw the collection come to life for the first time at the New Designers Show, where I was fortunate enough to meet this talented designer. Her collection is all about knitwear, hand drawn/printed textiles and also embroidery was used to achieve this aesthetic, quality of the material was definitely key for this collection.

Of course once the show was over I had to set up a meeting with her and get to know everything there is to know about this budding designer and see the clothes close up once again.


Who is Sef Farrugia?
I am many things… Some things I still don’t know about. I think it will last me a lifetime to get to know me.


What inspired you to become a fashion designer?
Arts & Design was something I was always into, and looking back, that was my path all along, so I don’t know what exactly inspired me! For me it was something that was always there in one way or another then one day you see it as a possibility as a career and I decided to go for it.
I wanted to be an illustrator at first… Illustration is something that I still do today. 





When did your love for fashion start?
I grew up watching my mum sew for a living and a family business who imports and sells clothes and so I sort of was born into that type of environment where I could observe quality / manufacturing and the business side of a fraction of this industry from a young age, so that may have had something to do with it.
But at first it was love for illustration and making up stories and characters which got me into liking the idea of making something from nothing… then of course you grow up and get exposed to other things … but I have to say for me it was an escalation of happenings... I was always interested and involved in anything that had to do with Arts and that was always “it” for me.


This year at MFW you showcased your first collection, what inspired you to do this collection? And, which is your favorite piece?
At first I started looking at childhood films like Mary Poppins based around the Edwardian / Victorian eras and then through illustration I created a character that in my head lived in these colonial times and took it from there… It is about the juxtaposition of mixing beautiful prints, which were inspired by imported tiles from past British colonies and floral illustrations to intricate knits and embroideries to express the strong visual I wanted for this character.
I have to say I don’t have a favorite! But the knitwear took so much effort and hard work, so maybe I would have to say the knitwear pieces.





Which designer do you look up to and why?
Every designer has an individual path. No one in particular… I admire anyone who is doing what they want to be doing and manages to live from it and still finds the focus and patience for every collection. Those who innovate in one-way or another. It is truly a tough industry.


Describe your personal style in 3 words
Personal style is so complex. I wouldn’t know how to answer that in 3 specific words, because it is something that is shaped, as you grow older and something that perhaps is always evolving.





What are your plans for the future and where do you see yourself in 5 years?
I was invited to show at Southsea Fashion week in August in the UK… I am also working on the launch of a luxury collection of satin/silk scarves, which should be coming out around the end of the year … and a couple of other plans that are still in process of discussion.But… more than anything is to continue doing what I love doing, how I want to do it! Hopefully in 5 years time I’ll still be doing this!


When shall we see another one of your beautiful collections?
Sometime in between August and October.


How can one purchase your one of a kind designer pieces?
Selected pieces from the collection are in process of manufacturing which should be expected to come out mid summer / end of summer.



What is your biggest achievement so far?
Keeping in mind that I still have a long way to go … my biggest achievement would have to be the actual fact that I came a long way from where I have started…It is always a good feeling to look back and with the little or a lot that you have achieved so far being able to say that you are proud of it.


What message would you like to give out to young designers starting out in this industry?
Stay focused! And find buckets full of patience.


After the launch of her collection at MFW Vogue.it featured the collection on their website


Im counting the days till August/September to see her new collection and I have'nt even got over this one...Sef Farrugia is definately one to watch out for! 


Like her page ... http://www.facebook.com/Official.Sef.Farrugia


Love & Fashion,
Gayle xx

0 comments:

Post a Comment