Mauke V





Maureen Vorswijk Owner and Designer at MAUKE V Jewellery began her career in fashion, working in Amsterdam as a wardrobe stylist for theatre shows, and several fashion projects. After designing her own lingerie and fashion collection her designs were also worn in music videos, photo shoots and fashion shows. After 8 years Maureen made a career switch and she chose her first love, Jewellery. First she solely made pieces for herself so she could develop her own designer handwriting. When family, friends and strangers requested that Maureen designed and make them pieces of their own, she decided it was time to start thinking about her first collection, and MAUKE V Jewellery was born. 
Maureen doesn't follow any particular style, thoughts or rules but has created an own individual style which is made up of a combination of several existing styles. She draws from inner inspiration, from images of ancient times seeking their way through her mind into her hands, art, photography, old magazines, when looking at her family, personal transformation and her obsession for beautiful things. But the feeling she strives for is to create that piece of jewellery for her customers that makes them feel confident, feminine, strong, the moment they put it on.


What made you make a change from a wardrobe stylist to a jewellery designer?

As a young adult I studied architecture and furniture design and beside that I also worked on several fashion projects for 8 years as a wardrobe stylist, although I knew I wanted to become a jewellery designer I think that when I was in my early twenties I got a bit carried away with other peoples opinion. The first question the would always ask me was “how are you going to earn your money as a jewellery designer"
But when I celebrated my 39 birthday I decided it was really time to make a career switch. I didn’t get the satisfaction from my work anymore so that was the moment I decided to choose my first love, jewellery. The idea alone that I could finally start creating beautiful one of kind pieces for women to compliment their outfits for several occasions and to make them feel unique, elegant and confident inspired me to make that switch.


When did your love for jewellery start?

As a little girl my mother always had a passion for fashion. My mother’s wardrobe was filled with clothes. I think she had over 150 outfits, believe over a hundred pair of shoes and drawers filled with jewellery. My mother’s wardrobe was always very neat. I know that I was always looking and touching her jewellery and trying them on, I just loved it. I think I was 7 or 8 years old when I knew It was highly possible I would become a jewellery designer one day. 



What inspires you?

The challenge to create unique jewellery for women for any occasion to compliment their outfits and the idea alone that women can’t wait to put their hands on one of my designs which they know it is a part of a limited edition, that keeps me inspired to continue creating. 

How was your first experience at London Fashion Week?

In one word Amazing! It was an honour to present my collection to an international crowed who really appreciated what they saw and they just loved it. So all the hard work I did was really worth it. I can’t wait for the next edition in February 2013. 




Who is your fashion icon?

Rihanna, I just love her rebellic look. If I were her age I think I would dress like her. 
  
What is your biggest achievement so far?

That I created the opportunity for myself that I can afford it to work as a jewellery designer every day with the result I could launch my first Collection during LFW. 




Which celebs do you wish to see wearing your jewellery? 

Alicia Keys, Rihanna, Gwen Stefani and Pink. But I would also love to see Michelle Obama and Oprah Winfrey wearing my jewellery pieces. 

What is your personal style?

Nothing special. Mostly I wear skinny jeans always with high heel boots because I'm not a tall girl. I also have a fetish for black motor cycle jacks, the fabric doesn’t matter. I have several ones in my wardrobe for every day of the week



  
How can one purchase your one of kind pieces?

One can purchase my designs by sending me an email through the contact page of my website HERE and request for details and prices of the desired piece. All designs are hand crafted in my atelier based in Amsterdam.


Photographer Trevor Fogah Griffiths, iDeLick Media.


                                        You can view her full collection at London Fashion Week  





Love & Fashion,
Gayle xx



0 comments:

Post a Comment