The Sweater Effect

Sometimes I wonder what the definition for "stylish" is. (Before you keep reading, I just wanna say, Im not rambling, these pictures do have something to do with this post, and the title is completely awesome.) Or, more so, what can be thought of as "stylish." Im not talking "fashion" here. This is style. When I think "fashion" I think "runway," and the only way to be "fashionable" is to be one of the models walking down the catwalk, and any inspiration that stems from that is purely "style." Just because you took inspiration from the latest Comme des Garçons (look I can do the little "ç" as opposed to "c"!) collection doesnt mean youre instantly defined "fashionable." I half think that the only way you can be "fashionable" is by being approved by Marc Jacobs or nodded at by Anna Wintour.
Photobucket
Then yet half of me thinks that that is incredibly superficial, and just plain wrong. Somehow I wanna say that "fashion" and "style" should not be something that you are judged or approved on, but I think we both know that that is not true. I think that anyone says that their style should not be approved is someone that is just an artist. Its an art to them. I know of a few self-proclaimed artistes that are bloggers. Im not saying they are bad, I just know Im not one to make a blog and parade around in wearable imagery. Im no statue, I aint a picasso. Im here to show you my everyday outfits and what makes me giggle.
Photobucket
Okay, now Im just rambling. To get on with the point. What outfit passes the line from "wearing something" to "stylish" ....? What defines it for you? To tell you the answer, or at least in my head, let mepresent The Sweater Effect. I think you can guess what this means. My line from "wearing just anything" to "stylish" appears and is crossed over when a person wears a sweater as a shirt. There is just something about it. Its my fallback outfit. Any time I really wanna wear jeans but not just a plain ole tshirt, I reach for one of my handy sweaters. They are super comfy and look oh so wonderful when belted.
Photobucket
These pictures posted are a few of my favorite "instant style" pieces. I love them. (And I feel so avante garde when taking these pictures this way :P.) I think many people would not agree with me. I can guess that she would think putting on a tall pair of heels would do it. And she would profess anything with Rick Owens in it has crossed over into the style border.
Photobucket
Getting back to my first point, maybe, when you become truly fashionable, or stylish, is the day you can tell the difference between the two.
What do you think? What is the line between the two things, "just wearing something" and "style?" What are your opinions on my post? Think Im insane? Tell me!
(For most accurate Stylish Wanderer experience listen to: Simon and Garfunkel, Bridge over Troubled Water)

0 comments:

Post a Comment