Arabian Nights

Last week I was contacted by a Finnish designer to view her beautiful pieces in London, unfortunately it wasn't possible for me to make it as I was busy with commitments in Malta, but browsing through her lookbook I knew I had to interview and feature her new Autumn/Winter 2013-2014 collection on my blog. Some of these garments I wish I could own, the material looks exquisite and the prints are calling my name.





Tell me a little about yourself. Where are you from? What's your educational 
background?

I'm originally from Finland. I have been living in England for 13 years now, so In guess I'm half Brit by now. I studied my BA at university of Brighton in Fashion textiles design and I did my MA at Royal college of Art in Fashion knitwear design.

What made you become a fashion designer? And how long have you been in 
this business?

I became a fashion designer because of a great interest in fashion and textile design from a young age and love for creating something new. I started my label Tramp in Disguise in 2010.





What does fashion mean to you?


Fashion means a lot to me. It's from things I wear on a day to day basis to the thrill of creating something new and avant garde.


What was the first article of clothing you ever designed?

We had to learn to sew and to knit in school. I knitted a hat with holes on the sides to pull my pig tails through the hat.

How long does it usually take you to construct a piece?

It depends entirely on the garment and how complex it is. Usually the shapes I design are quite simple, but what takes most of the time is designing the prints and fabrics.

Describe the general process you go through to design and realize a piece of 
clothing.

I start first with research of a theme to inspire the fabric design and ideas for shapes. The fabric design takes most of the time in a garment. The shapes come easily because they are usually quite simple - after we have made the patterns we make a toile to try out the shape and do changes and then we make the final garment. Sometimes the pattern placement even happens on the stand before cutting the final sample.




What are some of your accomplishments as a designer?

I achieved an MA at Royal college of Art, I have done presentations during London Fashion Week, I have taken part in trade shows during Paris Fashion Week and presented a catwalk show in Canada. My work has been published in various magazine and Tramp in Disguise had many celebrity fans.

Who are some of your favorite designers?

Some of my favorite designers are: Manish Arora, Marc Jacobs, Alexander McQueen, Hussien Chalayan.

Where do you buy your beautiful fabrics from?

I design the fabrics myself so I buy plain white fabrics from our print manufacturers.

What matters to you most as a fashion designer?

Most matters most is to be innovative and create something new and exciting.

How do you prepare for a fashion shoot or a show?

To prepare for a show I go through all the outfits and styling - so that everything is sorted out before the show and everyone knows what they are doing back stage. Also after doing the show in Canada I have learnt to think about what I'm going to do on the stage - as in Canada I got into a bit of a panic about whether I should wave or bow :)

Where can readers buy your exquisite clothes?

Online at the moment: Little Black Dress, Carnet de mode, the contemporary level, Then&Now, independent boutique,Silkfred and in Dubai Valleydez.

What advice do you have for aspiring fashion designers?

It's a really tough industry. you have to grow a thick skin, have tot work really hard and long hours and love what you do.

0 comments:

Post a Comment